Friday, October 20, 2006

The Joy of ZEP

It's been a real learning experience for me, working this last month and a half in a collège in a "ZEP" or "Zone d'Education Prioritaire". Don't get me wrong, I like working with kids, even the ones who have problems or who aren't at all interested in my subject, English. The momentary obstacle of dealing with exotic names faded into the background quickly enough, but the very real problem of maintaining a sufficient level of discipline to get a smidgen of work done remains.
It seems counterproductive, in a language class, to be constantly calling for "quiet". After all, if they don't talk, how can they be expected to communicate?But some of these little angels are so hyperactive that I can't even hear myself think. I'm sure Dickens or Thackary would portray a teacher in my predicament in some suitably humorous way, but I'm very rarely laughing at it all.
How to maintain interest and plough into new pastures of syntax and vocabulary while Jawed is spilling Moustapha's pencil case onto the floor and N'mahawa is shrieking with laughter? All the good intentions in the world, wanting to help the disadvantaged youths get on with their education and all, all that doesn't help a bit if a certain critical mass of attentiveness can't be reached.
Yeah, you're right, guess I'm just moaning. Some days it works, and some days the mayonnaise goes off before I've even begun mixing it. Any suggestions (short of cliff-jumping) are welcome.

Cheers, --- Phil

6 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

phil, your a brave man. Best of luck. It really annoys me that the 'best teachers' the agregés don't get sent into the ZEP's, that's where they are needed. An idea, why not redefine your objective. If your pupils have no discipline and speak english they will get nowhere. If they have discipline and no english they will pretty soon get a job. I'm sure your principal would be happy with a bit more discipline and you would have a better life.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger PhilB said...

Right you are, mate.
My first two months have been spent primarily on discipline, especially for the youngest students, the classes of 6e. Things are going fairly well, but it's an ongoing struggle.

Cheers, --- Phil

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

From what I remember of teaching English, ridiculous games were the only thing that got attention long enough to make me feel I'd achieved something.

I'm not sure how that would be achieved with ZEP kids who would have to listen to the lesson long enough to understand the aim of the game.

Good luck. You face every day the struggle for the triumph of hope over experience...

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

I agree with richard - you are a very brave man! I once did a vacation in a lycée here in Grenoble and was very nearly eaten alive - and it wasn't even in a ZEP! I now do soutien scolaire and private lessons and it's much less stressful...er...sometimes...

Bon Courage et Bonne Année!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger sciencebod said...

I had the equivalent of your experience in Britain in the early 90s - three years at one of the worst schools in the country (later the subject of a centre page tabloid spread, the result of American temps pulling out in disgust).

Class control has a number of components - an intuitive understanding of pupils' level - what they can and cannot cope with, total consistency in expectations, and, most important of all, the ability to inculcate FEAR through appropriate body language. You know all this, Phil, and stick at it, so you must be getting some of it right. But in my experience, it's a chemistry thing: some have it, some don't, and those who don't should jack it in, and try something less stressful.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger sciencebod said...

PS There aagain, there was that memorable sketch on "Not the Nine O'Clock News" (I think), admittedly in connexion with hooligans, rather disruptive pupils. It has the earnest social worker trying to move on quickly from the drastic solution of the panel's Neanderthal. But finally, after regaling us with her insight, her years of frontline experience, she ends up endorsing the other guy's solution. The only real solution being to "cut off their goolies!"

Actually, the main reason for sending this is to give your comment counter a nudge, which stayed stuck at 4 yesterday after I added the 5th. It will still on 4 immediately before composing this. Will it stay on 4 after adding this bit of light relief ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home